Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: Kevin's Point of View by Del Shannon


(Click image to add to your to be read pile)
Title: Kevin's Point of View
Author: Del Shannon
Genre: Young Adult, Adventure, Middle-Grade
Format: Paperback from Author
Buy: Amazon | B&N




Kevin Tobin is a relatively ordinary 12-year-old dealing with the aftermath of his father's death in a mountain biking accident near their home in Boulder, Colorado. To escape from his emotional turmoil, Kevin has developed his imagination into a dangerous foil and a powerful ally. While he antagonizes his sister through his superhero antics on an average Wednesday morning, his ability to escape inside a character's head become critical to his survival after his life is once-again turned upside down a year after his father's death. A mysterious package arrives in the mail, Kevin and his best friend are hunted down by a ruthless villain set upon world domination, and after enlisting Kevin's teenage sister and her pizza-delivery boyfriend in a battle for control over time itself, the secret of Kevin's whole existence is revealed to him by a source we never expected. Del Shannon's imaginative story, appreciation for the powers of family and the desire of young boys to both escape reality and prove themselves within it, and fast-paced, adventure-filled storytelling style make this a book with wide appeal for readers of all ages.





I can't believe it took me so long to pick up this book. Kevin's Point of View overstepped my expectations and simply blew me away. This is one book I will surely read to my kid brother, my son and even my future husband (who is in-touch with his inner child).

Kevin's Point of View is about Kevin, a very creative 12-year-old boy who's father recently passed away. Because of the pain and hardships he faced during the time of his fathers death. Kevin develops an imaginary way to overcome them. He some how turns himself and everyone around him into cartoon and fictional characters to get through hardships and literal bumps in the road. Now, all that sounds pretty dramatic and serious but it isn't what it sounds like. This book is full of fun and adventures which all starts when Kevin is sent a mysterious package that takes him on that roller coaster ride of adventures.

I really enjoyed this book. The writing style of Del Shannon was so smooth and straight to the point, it's hard not to enjoy a book this free flowing. The characters in the book are all great. My favorite would be the down-to-earth pizza dude, Scratch. Who made me laugh so many times I couldn't help but declare him my favorite.

The plot of the book had so much depth, it actually surprised me. To be honest, when I started reading this book, I didn't remember what Kevin's point of view was really about (aside from the fact that Kevin was the protagonist). So yet again, I blindly went through the book thinking that it was a compilation of different types of adventures Kevin has gone through. But it's not. It is one BIG adventure that began roughly and full of excitement and ended with tears and happy endings.

Kevin's Point of View blew me away with its originality, vibrance and fun. An awesome book great for kids, pre-teens, young adults and everyone else who'd like to go embark on a cute adventure with Kevin and his best bud, Tony.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.