Friday, June 7, 2013

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Warm Bodies
by Isaac Marion
Genre: Horror, Romance
Format: Audiobook
Buy: Barnes & Noble / Amazon / Book Depository

Synopsis:

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

Review:

This book has recently turned into a movie and here I am writing a review about the book six months later. I took the liberty in getting the audiobook instead since I don't have much time to actually pick up a book anymore.

The movie portrayed the R and Julie as teenagers. But in the books, it seemed like R was a little bit over his twenties and as for Julie, I'm not sure. The audiobook was very strange and choppy. I've listened to many audiobooks this year and this is the first time a book was actually choppy and confusing. There are many times throughout the entire book that I felt that I was missing a piece or R was M and M is Julia. The voices weren't very distinct and the whole thing was just a jumbled mess of thoughts and words and instances.

The thing about the book was that the storyline actually worked and could even be realistic. It wasn't just about the romance, it was more than that. The Zombies are coming back to life and the Bonies (Skeleton versions of Zombies) are trying to find a way to stop the corpses from coming back to life and well stay dead and brain-hungry.

The book was a lot more graphic, realistic and held scenes and characters that really added in the spice to the entire thing. Aside from the changes here and there, the movie actually stayed true to the book.

Overall, as much as I wanted to really love the book, I only ended up just enjoying it with an "it was okay" in my head. I didn't feel much of for the characters nor the storyline. For me, I felt that it lacked a little something. I guess, after reading Feed by Mira Grant. I can't bring myself to love any other zombie book but Feed.

3.5/5 Stars


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.