Saturday, October 22, 2011

Review: Falling Under (Falling Under #1) by Gwen Hayes

Title: Falling Under (Falling Under #1)
Author: Gwen Hayes
Started: 18/10/2011
Finished: 22/10/2011
Goodreads | Review List | The Book Depository | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Review:

Once again, I dove right into a book with contents that are unknown to me. Was it about Vampires? Werewolves? Fairies? Witches? Angels? No. It isn't. I like surprising myself and I did just that when I begun this.

British Theia Alderson has moved to the states when she was 13. Now, at 17, her father made sure she didn't do anything wild, improper, rebellious, and irrational. He made sure she couldn’t harm herself with anything that isn't right. Then suddenly, Theia starts dreaming of a devastatingly handsome boy, who the next day began his first day of school. Why was she dreaming about a stranger before she even met him? Whats the strange pull she has for him? Why has she realized that this strange pull replaced her fear after Haden reveals what he truly is to her?

All these questions answer themselves as a reader gets through the book. I didn't like the beginning. I dislike how fast Theia yearns for Haden so much after they just met. It didn't seem like a "crush" like it was stated. It was more like an "obsession" from both their parts. It threw me off from the start, too many cliché’s But as the story started to pick up, and the story got over the "I love you even when I just met you" stuff. It became exciting and the events kept rolling in. Haden's mother is our antagonist in this one. She wants nothing more than to have Haden marry and become heir and in not a normal sense.

The author wrote wonderful secondary characters that constantly save the main characters butt. Best part is they're rather funny. They fit perfectly in the plot.

Falling Under is a vibrant read from an excellent debut author, who managed to creep me out a bit with her direct descriptions. Despite it's flaws it still was an enjoyable read. 3.5/5 stars.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of curious about this one. Thanks for the review. Helps me think on it again as it's been a while since looked into it. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.