Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review: Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood #5) by J. R. Ward


(Click image to add to your to be read pile)
Title: Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood #5)
Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: Signet
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository



In Caldwell, New York, war rages between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Now the cold heart of a cunning predator will be warmed against its will...

Ruthless and brilliant, Vishous, son of the Bloodletter, possesses a destructive curse and a frightening ability to see the future. As a pretrans growing up in his father's war camp he was tormented and abused. As a member of the Brotherhood, he has no interest in love or emotion, only the battle with the Lessening Society. But when a mortal injury puts him in the care of human surgeon, Dr. Jane Whitcomb compels him to reveal his inner pain and taste true pleasure for the first time-until a destiny he didn't choose takes him into a future that cannot include her...

J. R. Ward does it again!

If you haven't read my previous review and you haven't read anything in the series, here is a low down on the basic concept of it. No matter how much and how far I get into reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I can't get enough of its musky, spicy and all too good snarky New York/Boston accents, dialogue and so much more. This series is about an entirely different scope of vampires. Vampires that have their own society and live amongst themselves, feed amongst themselves and have their own Police system which they call call The Brotherhood. They are a big brooding bunch of immensely good-looking men or vampires, who protect themselves from their own type of evil known as the Lessers. The Lessers are soulless, used to be humans who fight and kill vampires for their own enjoyment. They are under the control of The Omega. The Omega can be thought of as the Satan of this all new world. The demon that all vampire civilians run away from and fear.

Lover Unbound is about my favorite Brother, Vishous. He's dark, haunting, tormented, and a smartass and the Brotherhoods very own Tech Geek. I can't help but be one of those girls who are into the geeky types. Anyways, he's not much of a geek in appearance. After reading the books till here, I was simply excited to read how V or Vishous will find his happy ending.

The book started out so well, we get to V in a whole different perspective and thoughts. Now, that Butch (his roommate) has a mate. V can't help but feel jealous of how sappy Butch is with his mate, and everything that goes a long with it. He even tells us the story about his father, how he got the tattoos on his face and basically, everything in his past that is relevant.

When V finally finds what he's always wanted, Ward does something really cruel to him. I get it, good authors keep their books in reality and all but what she did to V is so uncool and very tragic. V can't catch a break can he?

Seriously, aside from the uncalled for ending, the series remains as enthralling as ever with everything close to realism (despite my hatred for it, on occasion), writing style that is pure talent. I can't wait to pick up the next book.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Love me some V! He is my fave brother too! I agree about the ending, I was heart broken. But, I guess everything turned out ok. He's ok with it, so I guess I should be too. Next up is Phury. I couldn't really get into his book. It was just kind of boring, but after my second read through, I really liked it. I think this is my fave series ever. Can't wait for Blay and Qhuinn's book next year! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.