Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review: Redheart by Jackie Gamber


Title: Redheart (The Leland Dragon #1)
Author: Jackie Gamber
Started: 31/7/2011
Finished:
 2/8/2011
Goodreads | Review List | Book Depository



Goodreads Summary: 

Enter the lands of Leland Province, where dragon and human societies have long dwelled side by side. Superstitions rise sharply, as a sever drought strips the land of its bounty, providing fertile ground for the darker ambitions of Fordon Blackclaw, Dragon Council Leader, who seeks to subdue humans or wipe them off the face of the land.
As the shadow of danger creeps across Leland Province, a young dragon named Kallon Redheart, who has turned his back on dragons and humans alike, comes into an unexpected friendship. Riza Diantus is a young woman whose dreams can no longer be contained by the narrow confines of her village, and when she finds herself in peril, Kallon is the only one with the power to save her. Yet to do so means he must confront his past, and embrace a future he stopped believing in.
A tale of friendship, courage, and ultimate destiny, Redheart invites readers to a wondrous journey through the Leland Dragon Series.
A tale of friendship, courage, and ultimate destiny, Redheart invites readers to a wondrous journey through the Leland Dragon Series.


Review:


Few months back I received an email from a publisher asking me to review one of the books under them and actually wanted to send me a paperback. Its the first time I've received something as such since... well... ever! And I can't believe I took so much time to actually pick up the book.

Redheart is the first book in a new series focused on a dragon protagonist which is completely unique. I haven't read anything like this. At first, the protagonist Kallon, seemed depressing, pitiful and very stubborn but thats his character when his story begins. As a girl comes into the picture everything changes for him and thats in the very beginning. At some point I even thought Kallon was very cute and fluffy just like Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon". I never thought I would like reading about dragons.

The characters were strong and the plot was kind of weak but picks up after awhile and I'm sure the books get better and better. As the story moves on we meet potential antagonists who always find a way to ruin everything for our Hero. The story picks up and then slows down a little towards the end. And at some point it kept on going in circles and I thought it wouldn't end. But it did with a bang.

I admire Gamber's (Haha, we almost have the same last name) writing style and as she writes the next following books I'm positive it'll get better. Her writing style was clean and easy to read, a perfect combination for a YA Epic Fantasy book like this. It was unputdownable and kept you wanting to read more. I enjoyed the first book and I'll be anticipating the next. It wasn't something I expected and with its surprises it completely blew me away. 5/5 stars

I'd recommend this to the adventurous YA reader. :D 



Photobucket

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.